Our History

Caring for North Texas & Our Community Since 1924

Methodist Hospital of Dallas groundbreaking, 1924
Methodist Health System is one of North Texas' oldest nonprofit health systems. We've gone through many changes over the decades, but our mission has always been the same — commitment to the health and well-being of our community.

In the beginning

The Methodist vision started in 1924 with a group of Methodist ministers and civic leaders devoted to bringing quality healthcare to the growing city of Dallas. With the support of the Methodist Church, local congregations, and other donors, our founders built Dallas Methodist Hospital, a 100-bed facility south of the Trinity River, overlooking downtown Dallas, which opened in 1927.

Thriving and expanding in Dallas

After persevering through the early years and the Great Depression, Dallas Methodist Hospital began to truly thrive and expand in the 1940s and 1950s. In 1951 a three-story student nurse's residence was constructed near the hospital and in 1966 the Martin and Charlotte Weiss Educational Building opened, providing classroom space for nursing education and a large auditorium for community programs. By the 1960s, Dallas Methodist Hospital had grown to include 420 beds, more than four times our original size. Today, our hospital contains over 585 beds and the latest in cutting-edge medical technology.

 Original Methodist Hospital of Dallas building

Texas law prohibits hospitals from practicing medicine. The physicians on the Methodist Health System medical staff are independent practitioners who are not employees or agents of Methodist Health System, or any of its affiliated hospitals. | Privacy Policy
Copyright 2018 All Rights Reserved | Powered By Scorpion