Sexual Assault Nurse Examiner (SANE) Program
Methodist Health System opened the first SANE program in Southwest Dallas County at Methodist Dallas Medical Center on January 6, 2014. The Methodist Dallas SANE program, located in the hospital’s emergency department, provides rapid response by certified sexual assault nurse examiners who provide compassionate, confidential care and forensic examinations for sexual assault victims ages 14 and older. It also provides post-assault examinations and forensic rape kits at no-cost, sexually transmitted diseases and HIV prophylactics, psychological crisis services including fresh clothing, and the option to report to law enforcement.
Out of 47 hospitals in Dallas County, Methodist Dallas is only the second to offer the SANE program and the first in southern Dallas County.
Here are some astounding statistics* about Sexual Assault that you may not be aware of:
- One out of every six women and one out of every 33 men will be sexually assaulted in her or his lifetime
- Every 107 seconds, an American is sexually assaulted
- Each year, about 293,000 people are sexually assaulted
- Approximately four-fifths of assaults are committed by someone the victim knows.
- 80 percent of victims are under the age of 30
- 44 percent of victims are under the age of 18
- 15 percent of victims are under the age of 12
- 68 percent of sexual assaults are not reported to police
- 98 percent of rapists will never spend a day in jail or prison
Victims of sexual assault are 3 times more likely to suffer from depression, 6 times more likely to suffer from post-traumatic stress disorder, 13 times more likely to abuse alcohol, 26 times more likely to abuse drugs and 4 times more likely to contemplate suicide. The SANE Initiative was created by Safer Dallas Better Dallas (SDBD) as part of its commitment to making Dallas the safest city in America. Methodist Health System has collaborated with local organizations to provide counseling, education and advocacy services to victims, friends, and family.
For more information, please contact the SANE Program at Methodist Dallas Medical Center Emergency Department at 214.947.8181.
*All statistics provided by RAINN (Rape, Abuse & Incest National Network)