Women and Children’s – Methodist Charlton
Maternity services at Methodist Charlton Medical Center in Dallas, Texas
Pregnancy and childbirth are among the most exciting events in woman’s life. At Methodist Charlton Medical Center in Dallas, Texas, we offer childbirth education, pregnancy support, assistance from breastfeeding educators, and individualized maternity care every step of the way.
Please review our New Mommy News handout for more breastfeeding resources.
Learn more about Women and Children's services available for expectant families at Methodist Charlton Medical Center, including:
- Childbirth education classes
- Sibling Class
- We offer a fun, informative and child-friendly tour to our big brothers and big sisters to be who are between the ages of 3-to-9 years old to help them feel more comfortable in the hospital setting where they will spend the first few days with their new baby sibling. We also discuss ways to welcome the new baby and how to be the very best big brother or big sister. Class available upon request, to get more information, please call 214-947-7261.
- Infant Safety & CPR Class
- Our class use the American Heart Association's “Family and Friends” course and includes infant CPR, relief of infant choking, home preparation, car seat safety and injury prevention. Each participant will have their own baby manikin to use as we practice basic CPR and relief of choking skills throughout the class with a certified American Heart Association instructor facilitating the course. Cost: $10/couple
- Operation D(ad) Day Class –
- Our dads play such an important role during pregnancy, birth and beyond. A veteran dad will orient our fathers-to-be on the realities of fatherhood, adjusting to life as a dad, ways to bond with your baby and how to create a positive environment for your new baby. Hope you will join us for this DADS ONLY class. Cost: FREE to our Methodist Charlton dads!
- Childbirth Preparation Series
- Our childbirth preparation class series provides 4 weeknight classes and includes detailed information about the process of labor and delivery, the important role of the support person(s), pain management options, medication options, Cesarean birth and recovery, labor rehearsal and breathing and relaxation techniques. Cost: $25/couple
- Baby Care Class
- In this class we cover how to care for your newborn the first few weeks. Each couple will have a baby manikin and will practice how to bathe, diaper, swaddle and comfort your baby. We also discuss newborn appearance, calming techniques and common newborn behaviors. Cost: $10/couple
- Breastfeeding Class
- This class is designed to help you and your partner get breastfeeding off to a great start and to reach your breastfeeding goals. Please join us as we discuss recognizing feeding cues, breast anatomy and physiology, milk production, effective latch techniques, prevention and solution of common challenges, pumping and storage and returning to work. Cost: FREE to our Methodist Charlton moms.
- Specialized infant care services
- Labor and delivery facilities
- View photos of the labor/delivery/recovery (LDR) suites
- Quiet time to promote rest and bonding between mother and infant
Texas Ten Step Facility Designation
Methodist Charlton has been designated a Texas Ten Step Hospital since 2007. The hospital has achieved the designation awarded to birthing facilities providing optimal care to improving breastfeeding outcomes by the Texas Department of State Health Services. Texas Ten Step facilities are asked to address at least 85% of the Ten Steps to Successful Breastfeeding, be designated as a Texas Mother-Friendly Worksite, evaluate their breastfeeding policies, maternity care practices and educate all healthcare staff routinely with evidence-based courses.
Texas Ten Step Star Achiever Breastfeeding Collaborative
Methodist Charlton was selected to participate in Cohort A of the Texas Breastfeeding Learning Collaborative. This collaborative was sponsored by Texas Department of State Health Services (DSHS) and developed and facilitated by the National Initiative for Children’s Healthcare Quality (NICHQ) to improve exclusive breastfeeding rates in Texas by fully implementing the Ten Steps to Successful Breastfeeding which is the basis for the Baby Friendly Hospital Designation.
Texas Ten Step Mentoring Facility
At the request of the Texas DSHS, Methodist Charlton has served as a Mentoring Facility for Texas hospitals in the Texas Ten Step Star Achiever Cohort B and Cohort C. As a result, Methodist Charlton leadership has presented at the Texas Ten Step Star Achiever Learning Sessions across the state of Texas to offer their support to hospitals seeking to improve their breastfeeding rates.
Aetna Award for Early Elective Delivery Infant Safety Programs
Methodist Charlton has met qualifications for recognition by Aetna for their Early Elective Delivery Infant Safety program for facilities that have demonstrated their commitment to infant safety by establishing safety guidelines for elective deliveries prior to 39 weeks and have implemented a quality improvement program.
IBCLC Care Award for Excellence in Lactation Care
Methodist Charlton has received the IBCLC Care Award since 2011 by the International Board of Lactation Consultant Examiners (IBLCE) and International Lactation Consultant Association (ILCA) for staffing professionals who hold the prestigious International Board Certified Lactation Consultant (IBCLC) certification and providing an outstanding lactation program for breastfeeding families. In addition, the hospital has demonstrated that it consistently completes activities to help protect, promote and support breastfeeding.
Texas law prohibits hospitals from practicing medicine. The physicians on the Methodist Health System medical staff are independent practitioners who are not employees or agents of Methodist Health System.